Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Stealing again!!

Thanks MB for a great followup to the Top 100 List. Number 39 on that list was "visited all 50 states". My goal is to see 50 states by the time I turn 50. I'm more than halfway there according to the map below (26 states) in which I have spent at least one night. When I include the states I've driven through or changed planes in, I can add WA, UT, OK, TN, GA, PA, and CT. I'll be visiting Hawaii for my 40th birthday (coming WAY too fast!) and will probably see UT and WA during next summer's road trip, then as soon as Disney offers an Alaskan Cruise then I can cross that off the list. Then it looks like I'll need to concentrate on going east for a while!

After 50 I can work on the countries I've visited!



create your own visited states map

I realize that seeing all 50 states isn't exactly a deep thoughtful or spiritual "life" goal. However, the experience of traveling, meeting new people, seeing incredible national parks and monuments and the biggest ball of twine, plus the bonus of spending quality time in the car (or plane or condo) with those closest to me is what really living feels like to me. What about you? If your goal isn't the 50 states, what is it that you would like to accomplish - or what does really "living" mean to you?

2 comments:

Mary Beth said...

Not bad, Ruth! Might I suggest heading east during Autumn? It's really beautiful.

I like the goal of visiting all 50 states. I don't know if I'll make it to all of them, especially since I'd like to travel abroad as much as possible. I've only been a few places in Western Europe but would love to go to Asia and Africa, too. I think really "living" is having as many different experiences as possible, preferably with people that I love.

Anonymous said...

I hit 29, but it is obvious I'm a Yank, because the white states were almost all in what is commonly referred to as "The South". I've been to Kentucky and Tennessee, but I don't think that gives me any sort of amnesty.